The Commission of Inquiry brings together experts from across policy, science and practice.
The Commission of Inquiry is chaired by Martyn Howatt, former Director of Uplands, Natural England, with Dr Steve Chapman of the Macaulay Land Research Institute, as overall scientific co-ordinator.
The Commission of Inquiry on Peatlands has the support of three patrons:
- Lord Jamie Lindsay, former Scottish Environment Minister
- Prof Andrew Watkinson, Director, Living With Environmental Change
- Sir Graham Wynne, outgoing Chief Executive, RSPB
Core Expert Panel
A Core Expert Panel of peatland experts from science, policy and practice will oversee the Commission reviews and technical reports. The Panel will also produce the final Assessment report and policy briefings.
- Andrew Coupar, Scottish Natural Heritage
- Dr Martin Evans, University of Manchester
- Prof Robert Van de Noort, University of Exeter
- Martyn Howatt, Chair Commission of Inquiry
- Prof Hans Joosten, University of Greifswald, Wetlands International
- Dr Richard Lindsay, University of East London
- Dr Harriet Orr, Environment Agency
- Dr Matthew Shepherd, Natural England
- Prof Pete Smith, University of Aberdeen
- Vicky Swales, Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
- Prof Des Thompson, Chair of the UK Joint Nature Conservation Committee Uplands Lead Co-ordination Network, Scottish Natural Heritage
For more information on the membership of the expert review teams, visit the Review Topics webpages.
The work of the Panel will be supported by an Advisory Committee consisting of funding partners, statutory agencies, government representatives and key NGOs. The Advisory Committee will assist with overall co-ordination of the Commission.
- Tim Baynes, SRPBA Moorland Group
- Will Boyd-Wallis, Cairngorms National Park Authority
- Steve Chambers, Welsh Assembly Government
- Susan Davies, Scottish Natural Heritage
- Martin Gillibrand, Moorland Association
- Dave Gorman, SEPA
- Jonathan Hall, National Farmers Union Scotland
- Katherine Hearn, National Trust
- Dr Jen Heathcoate, English Heritage
- Jane James, Environment Agency
- Dr Peter Jones, Countryside Council for Wales
- Prof Howard Platt, Northern Ireland Environment Agency
- Dr Chris Quine, Forestry Commission
- Neil Ritchie, Scottish Government
- Kate Snow, United Utilities
- Robert Stewart, Scottish Water
- Judith Stuart, Defra
- Dr Tim Thom, Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Simon Thorp, Scotland's Moorland Forum
- Andrew Walker, Yorkshire Water
- Dr Jeremy Wilson, RSPB Scotland
- Andrew Wood, Natural England
An Implementation Group will be established to take forward 10 key actions to feed directly into policy.