The Peatland Code and associated documents were published in March 2017 following an extensive development process which began in September 2013. It is issued by the IUCN UK National Committee and is managed on its behalf by an Executive Board. The Executive Board is facilitated by IUCN UK Peatland Programme staff and supported by a Technical Advisory Board including additional stakeholder groups, when required.
The Peatland Code story so far...
- 2013 - Pilot restoration projects established
- 2015 - Peatland Code version 1.0 (concept only) launched following Defra funded and commissioned report to develop peatland carbon metrics and financial modelling to enable quantification and valuation of the carbon impacts of peatland.
- 2017 - Peatland Code v1.1 launched and certification body appointed.
- 2018 - First Peatland Code validation awarded
- 2020 - UK Land Carbon Registry launched
The Executive Board
The Executive Board makes all management decisions regarding the Peatland Code on behalf of the IUCN UK National Committee and is responsible for strategic development of the Peatland Code in line with the objectives of the IUCN UK National Committee Peatland Programme.
- Paul Vaight, IUCN UK Peatland Programme - Steering Group
- Stuart Brooks, IUCN UK National Committee - Chair
- Vicky West, UK Woodland Carbon Code - Manager
- Renée Kerkvliet Hermans, IUCN UK Peatland Programme - Peatland Code Co-ordinator
- Mark Reed, Scotland's Rural College / IUCN UK Peatland Programme - Steering Group
- Emma Goodyer, IUCN UK Peatland Programme - Director
Peatland Code Technical Advisory Board
The Technical Advisory Board provides technical oversight and recommendations to the Peatland Code Executive Board. The Technical Advisory Board will take into consideration any recommendation for change relevant to the Peatland Code. Submissions for discussion should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Judith Stuart, Defra
- Sophie Chapman, Defra
- Rhoswen Leonard, National Resources Wales
- Peter Jones, National Resources Wales
- Pat Snowden, Forestry Commission - Woodland Carbon Code
- Vicky West, Forestry Commission - Woodland Carbon Code
- Patrick Jean-Martel, Peatland Action
- Ben Dipper, Scottish Government
- Peter Phillips, Scottish Government
- Kate Dowen, Scottish Government
- Steve Clarke, Nature for Climate Peatland Grant Scheme
- Chris Evans, Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
- Richard Lindsay, University of East London/IUCN UK Peatland Programme
- Rebekka Artz, James Hutton Institute
- Ian Dickie, Eftec
- Andrew Moxey, Pareto Consulting
- Alison Baker, Environment Agency
- Katharine Birdsall, Environment Agency
- David Drake, Natural England
- Hannah Rudman, Scotland's Rural College
- Helen Avery, Green Finance Institute
- James Dalton, IUCN
- Hans Joosten, Universität Greifswald
- John Couwenberg, Universität Greifswald
- Paul Vaight, Executive Board of Peatland Code
- Emma Goodyer, Executive Board of Peatland Code
- Gillian Manniex, UKAS
Please note: the Technical Advisory Board is currently under review and will be confirmed in Autumn 2022.
Peatland Code Market and Investment Forum
This forum provides a mechanism for feedback, comment and information relating to the Peatland Code’s interaction with the market place to support development whilst retaining distance from parties with a vested interest in directly steering and decision making in relation to the Peatland Code process. The is not a group who formally meet. Interaction is primarily through written communications.
Membership is open to End Buyers, Brokers and Retail aggregators registered on the Peatland Code IHS Markit registry.