UN Climate Change Conference including the 25th session of the Conference of Parties (COP25)
2nd - 13th December
"The conference is designed to take the next crucial steps in the UN climate change process. Following agreement on the implementation guidelines of the Paris Agreement at COP 24 in Poland last year, a key objective is to complete several matters with respect to the full operationalization of the Paris Climate Change Agreement."UNFCCC. See @UNFCCCwebcast for live broadcasts. See more information. Mark Reed (IUCN UK Peatland Programme and Newcastle University) will join a host of organisations including Global Peatlands Initiative and Griefswald Mire Centre to highlight bringing science to policy for climate change and peatland management.
Peatland focussed side events:
- 16:45-18:15 (CET) Avoiding loss of high-carbon soils through peatland mapping, monitoring and adequate management for climate action (JICA&GMC&GEC&FAO&UNEP)
- 10:00-11:50 (CET) Gearing Towards NDC Ambitions with C-Rich Peatlands in the Agenda.
- 12:30-14:20 (CET) Lesson Learned on Peatland Management Practices from Company Concessions, Communities and Government.
- 11:12:30 (CET) UN Global Peatlands Initiative: Milestones, impacts, and the path forward. (UNEP&BMU)
- 13:15-14:45 (CET) From the Boreal to Arctic: Indigenous knowledge and leadership for climate mitigation and adaptation. (DSF&ICC&UNEP)
- 16:45-18:15 (CET) Working together to help protect 30% of the world’s land and highlighting peatlands as a priority ecosystem for climate action, biodiversity and resilience. (NDRC&IPS&UNEP). (NDRC&IPS&UNEP)
- 13:40-15:00 (CET) Getting climate results by bringing science to peatlands policy through South-South & Triangular Cooperation (ITPC&UNEP)
- 11:30-12:30 (CET) Scottish & Chilean Government: Peatland restoration.