With taking strategic action to deliver peatland conservation and restoration in mind, over this four day event we will explore the vital role that healthy peatlands play in society’s adaptability, resilience and recovery as well as sharing progress made towards the UK Peatland Strategy goals.
- Welcome to our 10th IUCN UK Peatland Programme Conference
Stuart Brooks, National Trust Scotland & IUCN UK National Committee
- Keynote address
Minister Rebecca Pow, Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs)
- An overview of the UK Peatland Strategy
Emma Goodyer, IUCN UK Peatland Programme
This session will share four country updates on delivering the UK Peatland Strategy goals.
- Country update: Wales
James Cooke, Welsh Government
- Country update: Scotland
Andrew Coupar, NatureScot & Ben Dipper, Scottish Government
- Country update: Northern Ireland
Sara McGuckin, Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Environment Division
- Country update: England
David Hunter, Defra & Naomi Oakley, Natural England
- Delivering a soil map - addressing climate threats to peatland in the Falkland Islands.
Jim McAdam, Falkland Islands Trust & Queen's University Belfast
- Values & dynamics of groups for peatland restoration; a protocol for Deliberative Monetary Valuation.
Marie Ferre, Emmanouil Tyllianakis, Julia Martin-Ortega - iCASP (Intergrated Catchment Solutions Programme).
This session, the first of two, will share international peatland action in the UN Decade of Restoration and links to the biodiversity and climate crises.
- International peatland action in the UN Decade of Restoration. View Wild For Life Journeys - Peatlands video.
Dianna Kopansky, Global Peatlands Initiative (GPI), UN Environment Programme (UNEP)
- The role of UK peatlands in climate mitigation
Peter Coleman, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
- Nature based solutions & biodiversity policy
Actions to address mitigation, adaptation, biodiversity loss and community resilience and well-being.
Ashton Berry, BirdLIFE International
This session will explore balancing the benefits of peatlands and continue to share international peatland actions.
- Balancing the many benefits of peatlands
Hans Schutten, Wetlands International
- An update from South East Asia's peatlands
Faizal Parish, Global Environment Centre
- Peatlands in Europe - state and condition
Franziska Tanneberger, Griefswald Mire Centre
- Review of peatland policies across Europe
Niall O'Brolchain, National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway