IUCN UK Peatland Programme in collaboration with the IUCN CEM Peatland Ecosystems Specialist Group
and Newcastle University is monitoring progress under Resolution 43, securing the future of
global peatlands, agreed in 2016 at the World Conservation Congress.
At the IUCN World Conservation Congress in Hawaii (September 2016), delegates passed a motion calling for better protection and restoration of the world’s peatlands. This motion became adopted as an IUCN Resolution: 043- Securing a future for global peatlands. The motion highlights the potential for catastrophic loss of carbon, biodiversity and harm to water systems unless urgent action was taken to protect, restore and sustainably manage peatlands, which are present in more than 175 countries.
Since the adoption of the Resolution by IUCN there have been two further significant global resolutions on peatlands which underscore the importance IUCN Resolution 043:
- United Nations Environment Programme resolution (2019) on the ‘Conservation and sustainable management of peatlands’ which calls for;
- Ramsar Resolution XIII.13 (2018) ‘Restoration of degraded peatlands to mitigate and adapt to climate change and enhance biodiversity and disaster risk reduction’ (which builds on two former Ramsar resolutions on peatlands, Resolutions VIII.17 and XII.11).
IUCN UK Peatland Programme, alongside Newcastle University, have been undertaking monitoring of the baseline status of peatland strategies globally. Our report to the IUCN World Conservation Congress 2020 (Marseille) is available for download here.
International Peatland Strategies
- Belarus development of a peatland startegy
- Belarus Peatland Strategy
- English Blanket Bog Restoration Strategy 2015
- Estonia Nature Conservation Plan
- Finnish Peatland strategy
- France-Strategies for Peatland Conservation
- Indonesian Peatland Restoration Strategy 2012
- International Peatland Society Strategy for Responsible Peatland Management 2010
- Ireland National Peatlands Strategy 2015
- Ireland National Peatlands Strategy 2015 TOR and Guidance Note
- Jamaica Mangrove & Wetlands Protection Policy 1997
- Malaysia Peatland Strategy
- Manitoba Peatland Stewardship Strategy
- Mongolia Peatland Strategy (Technical Report)
- Norway biodiversity strategy
- Nova Scotia Wetland Conservation Policy 2019
- Ontario Wetland Strategy 2017-2030
- Scottish National Peatland Plan 2015
- Slovakia Wetland Care Programme 2015-2021
- Sweden Strategy on thriving wetlands
- UK Peatland Strategy
- Vanuatu Biodiversity Strategy-2018-2030
- Vanuatu Wetland Directory 2014 peat evidence
Click for more information about IUCN Resolutions and Recommendations.